St Augustine’s is a co-educational Kindergarten to Year Six school which is part of the Catholic Education System run by the Diocese of Wilcannia-Forbes. The school community aims to make all its members feel welcome and happy in its environment, to nurture faith in God and to provide a sound and challenging educational curriculum based on the needs of students. The current enrolment is 154 students.
Our Patron is Saint Augustine who did much work defending the Christian faith and is the Patron of theologians. Our school motto is ‘Faith, Honesty and Responsibility’. Liturgical celebrations including Sacraments, while being school based, also involve the parish community.
As well as NAPLAN and University of NSW Schools Competitions, students have the opportunity to be involved in many community activities which include the ANZAC ceremony, the Dubbo Eisteddfod, the local show and many projects offered to students from external organisations.
All students are encouraged to, and have the opportunity to participate in a variety of sports and compete in Diocesan, Inter-diocesan and State Carnivals. It is the aim of St Augustine’s to give every pupil the opportunity to fulfil his/her potential to the fullest in every respect.
There are programs operating for remedial literacy, students with special needs and peer support for new students to the school. St Augustine’s is a school supported by the parish and Catholic community of Narromine.
Narromine is a service town for the rural population of the district. The town is located 37km west of Dubbo in the central-west of NSW. The town relies heavily on the agriculture industry. Farming in the area includes wheat, cotton, sheep, cattle as well as orchards and other smaller crops.
The majority of our families rely on the land for employment with others taking advantage of the proximity of Dubbo for jobs in the business sector.
The population has remained stable at 3 500 for some time but a percentage of these are transient.
St Augustine’s was established by the Sisters of Mercy who arrived in Narromine in 1904. In November 1918 Rev Fr Brennan was appointed as Parish Priest. Two natural disasters have caused damage to the church and school in Narromine. The cyclone of 1932 and the floods of 1955 caused much damage and distress in the community.
The 1970’s saw great changes in Narromine in terms of staffing (the advent of lay teachers), funding and renovations. The first lay Principal was Mr Ross Lindeman who was appointed in 1976. The Sisters of Mercy eventually left Narromine in 1997 and Mercy convent opened as the new Centacare office in 2000. In 2001, new additions to the administration area were opened. The refurbishments included an upgrade of the library and administration areas, a new sick bay and a wet area. In 2007, the house and land adjacent to the school were purchased to provide extra playground space for the children.
St Augustine’s continues to develop this Catholic tradition established by the Sisters of Mercy over one hundred years ago. Students are made aware of gospel values, taught to think of others, encouraged to pray together, expected to attend mass and the sacraments, asked to give generously during specific activities such as Lent, missions and masses for the poor and needy.